Sunday, July 19, 2009

I don't like it

when people refer to their parents by their (the parents') first names when mentioning them in a story. I don't know why, but it really grates on me.

Example -

Steven: Hey Ben, who'd you have dinner with last night?
Ben: Oh, just Jerry and Sonia.

It just sort of smacks of...teen jocularity, and reminds me of a sort of personality type that I don't care for, the type of teenager who grows up to be the "cool teacher type" the kind who calls all the kids bro or dawg or something.
http://assets.hulu.com/shows/key_art_yo_teach.jpg
It does NOT bother me when someone uses the first name in this way

Example - Steven: How is Jerry?
Ben : Jerry is good.

that seems alright to me.

1 comment:

RemyLBO said...

WHO THE FUCK IS STEVEN AND WHAT DOES HE WANT WITH YOUR DAD!!!!?